Monday, June 23, 2008

Labrador Retriever Rescue - Help When You Can


Sometimes in life you have to do what you can when you can. That is how this 7-yr old black boy came to join our pack. His name is Butch and his solitary owner was involved in a serious accident, leaving him in extended IC and possibly paralyzed for life. Butch was lucky to have an "uncle" who drove over twice daily to care for him following the tragedy, but that could not go on. Even a Lab used to living a reclusive life needs more attention in the long term. The loving uncle contacted Butch's vet, who made other contacts and a plea went out over the rescue network. I forwarded it to the group I volunteer with and several others, but everyone is full this year. Poor Butch had no where to go. So - I brought him here. I am fortunate to be in the position to help him right now. I don't want to count how many times over the years I have shuddered to think what would happen to all of my dogs if tragedy stuck my husband and me. I offered my home to Butch wishing that all dogs in such situations could have someone willing to take them in and give them a new loving home. I can only imagine what it feels like from the dog's point of view -- one day your beloved person just does not come home and you never seen them again. For so many dogs this ends up with a trip to a shelter and, especially for older, large, black dogs - who are the most difficult to place - it often means an unhappy end. But not Butch!! I am happy to say he is settling in. He enjoys my 4 other Labs and is fine with our cat. He is a gentleman in the house and really lights up when we go for our daily walks and swims in the pond. It warms my heart to see him becoming more comfortable every day. We wish for a miracle recovery by his "Dad" and, if that happens, I will happily give Butch back. I know how I would feel!!! Until that time Butch can live happily ever after here with us and we give thanks for being in a position to help when we can. Please consider offering your love and home to a dog in need. They ask for so little and you can truly save a life.

No comments: