Saturday, November 21, 2009

Yellow Lab Portrait Painting for Christmas Gift

Jack is my latest Lab portrait painting commission. He will make a very thoughtful Christmas gift to a fiancee'. This yellow Labrador painting is based on a photo of Jack in his younger years. There was some sneaking involved and help from family and friends to find photos from the past. He is an old timer now. I hope the recipient will be very pleased.

Every pet portrait painting I do is a great honor. When you commission me to paint your pet I take it as a trust you have put in me to create a special piece of artwork that will be a keepsake and a symbol of the unique bond you share with your animal. I approach each one with anxious anticipation that my finished painting will fulfill those needs. It may sound funny, but I always ask the pet to help me out as I proceed. Something in a dog's expression will set the tone for the entire painting process and choices I make along the way. I love the little stories you share about the dogs so I get some insight into their personalities before I paint. Jack has a bit of a melancholy expression, but we also found a cuteness together as the painting progressed. It is always a joy for me to see the canvas "come to life". Thank you to all who have enlivened my studio.

Please visit my OtterTail Lab Art website for information about commissioning your own pet portrait or contact me.

No comments: