Tuesday, February 02, 2010

She's Like An Old Friend

This is my Rosemary tree I've had for nearly 20 years. Well, she was a little $2 plant sprig in the beginning. I trained her into this tree form and made a few babies for friends along the way. But she has been a big tree for a long time now and 'abused' in a pot. I put her outside every summer - as long as I can from spring until the temperatures dip regularly into the 20's. I keep thinking I should give her a real vacation and plant her in the ground for a season, but she's so heavy and tight in her pot that I never manage to get it done. As you can guess, I have not repotted her in a long time either. Somehow she forgives my neglect and here she is flowering for the second flush this winter. I do use her regularly, but it would probably be even better if I cut her way back and let new growth fill in. Rosemary makes regular additions to my roasted or fried potatoes. I put it in sauces and salads and of course, she in an important member of our Thanksgiving feasts. Yup, she's like an old friend to me. Always there, always happy and smelling good and easy to please, brightening my cold winter days with dainty blue flowers and my cold winter meals with herbal freshness. If you can't have a pet, at least have a plant :-).

No comments: