Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Black Labrador Portrait Painting Birthday Surprise

I'd like to share my latest dog portrait commission. Here is Hobie - RIP. She was a rescue dog who taught her family about the special love of a Labrador. This black Labrador Retriever portrait painting was commission by a dog-loving husband as a birthday present surprise for his wife. She doesn't know it yet and I am excited to find out how she likes it next month after her birthday. It has been a very sneaky undertaking conspired by husband, daughter, and other family members. I sure hope she loves it!!

I did her background a little differently than usual. Client wanted a woodsy background, but I found the detail too distracting and it competed with Hobie - the center of interest. So, I took artistic privilege and changed it to this medley of greens. Still has an outdoorsy feel, but not the distraction of unimportant elements. I like to keep my artwork simple and straight-forward. I guess that's the Lab in me! Happily, client loves it and I am pleased with the outcome as well. Now we will just have to keep mum and hope for a great and happy surprise on the big day! Good-bye sweet Hobie. It was nice to spend time with you, but now I have to send you home.

For your own custom dog portrait painting contact me and send pictures of your doggy model.

No comments: